Gforum Streams 2012

What do you think of the proposed Gforum Streams 2012?

I like that it's weekly.:
22%
I like that it will be on three days every week.:
33%
I like that it won't end after the year is over.:
22%
I don't like that only Twitch.tv is supported.:
0%
I don't like that only the Gforum chat box is supported.:
22%
Total Votes: 9

The time has come once again for Project Gforum to continue its yearly community game streaming program, Gforum Streams. However, there are more than a couple key differences in this year's incarnation that I want to point out.

• Gforum Streams 2012 will begin on October 3, 2012.
  • Gforum Streams will have three streamers every week, each streaming for an hour on a different day. The times I have in mind are Wednesday, Thursday, and Friday nights. If you want to join the program, please reply as such! I'm looking for anyone to fill up the remaining days. If you think you can't stream reliably every week, that's OK, we might need some fill-ins too!
  • Twitch.tv has been chosen as the only accepted format of Gforum Streams this year. In addition, all streams will be through the main ProjectGforum Twitch.tv account. Twitch allows me to email access codes for the channel to anyone I choose, which I will do on days that people other than me stream.
  • The chat sidebar on Project Gforum itself will be the only supported method of interaction with the streamers. I know Twitch and all the others have their own chat boxes, but I want to keep all the activity on this site. Aside from that, we're all familiar with our chat box and it has our smilies. Unlike our old box, there is no 60 message/hour limit, so go nuts.
  • There will be contests happening throughout the streams (like two years ago), but that's all I can promise at this point. No details have been nailed down yet.
  • This is just an addendum, but Twitch recommends Xsplit, Wirecast, and Flash Media Encoder. I will walk you through the process of streaming if you need me to.

We have a couple weeks to iron out any kinks, and I'm eager for feedback on all this. This year is by far the most ambitious Gforum Streams has ever been, and I think we can finally capitalize on its potential.

If I went into this, I would probably have to do it Fridays, since school's starting up again.

I could probably stream a few videos. I've never streamed before because I thought: who would really care? Well, maybe you all will. :)

I think I know the basics of how to do it, and I'll look into it some more.

While I personally do not favor Twitch, I can deal with it. However, using just the chat box could prove to be inconvenient for some streams who try to stream games full screen. They cannot read a chatbox that's hidden behind their game screen.

Kumiko wrote:While I personally do not favor Twitch, I can deal with it. However, using just the chat box could prove to be inconvenient for some streams who try to stream games full screen. They cannot read a chatbox that's hidden behind their game screen.

This was the exact problem I had with the Sonic Generations stream. No way for me to make it windowed, so I couldn't see the chatbox.

Twitch is good. I can't stand Livestream/own3d. As for streaming, not sure I'd bother doing it myself, but I might tune in if something interesting is going on.

As for the chat, I don't think it's the best idea to not use the stream chat, especially if the chatbox on this site is only available to people who already have an account.

sixsicksixes wrote:If I went into this, I would probably have to do it Fridays, since school's starting up again.

Cool, I'd love to put you on Fridays. That leaves Thursday open for anyone to sign up, although I can switch things around and open Wednesday up if necessary.

Like I said, even if you're flaky and don't know if you'll be able to stream every week, you should still sign up as a "fill in." I doubt the regular streamers (including me) will be able to make it every single week.

Daystar wrote:I could probably stream a few videos. I've never streamed before because I thought: who would really care? Well, maybe you all will. :)

I think I know the basics of how to do it, and I'll look into it some more.

Awesome. Can I put you down as a fill-in? I'll help you get set up when the time comes.

sixsicksixes wrote:This was the exact problem I had with the Sonic Generations stream. No way for me to make it windowed, so I couldn't see the chatbox.

I see. So the chatbox might be a problem, but it's a problem that would still happen if using Twitch's chatbox too. Do either of you have a (secondary) laptop or smartphone you can use while playing?

Teh_Sarge wrote:Twitch is good. I can't stand Livestream/own3d. As for streaming, not sure I'd bother doing it myself, but I might tune in if something interesting is going on.

As for the chat, I don't think it's the best idea to not use the stream chat, especially if the chatbox on this site is only available to people who already have an account.

What do you mean? I don't see any particular downside to it. People can watch the stream, but if they want to interact with the community they'll need to register (this goes for chat and posting on the forum.)

Sounds good Andrex. :) I'm looking forward to these, though the fullscreen/chatbox issue does seem like it could be a problem.

Worst comes to worse, the streamer won't be able to interact with the chat box. Not too big a deal.

As for you Daystar, try to be a little less flaky! :P

I'm also thinking of maybe Skyping during each stream, but I don't know who would show up and I might not always be around to coordinate it.

You know what's incredibly annoying, generally speaking? Sites that make you create an account in order to actually do anything. A lot of people on Twitch already have accounts of their own, but if you tell them that in order to participate in the chat, they have to register on a completely different site, they probably won't bother. I can tell you that I personally would reject the notion out of hand.

There's nothing difficult about actively advertising the site itself using the banner above the stream or even getting some kind of chat bot for the Twitch bot, or even talking with people yourself.

Ah, I see. You think we're sort of advertising on Twitch using our channel, and expect a whole bunch of people to find the channel just... streaming, somehow, from the Twitch site.

I doubt that will be the case. I've observed in the past that close to 100% of the viewers who watch any of our streams have been through our own site. Streams isn't designed to advertise Project Gforum, it's meant to serve those already on the site and already apart of the community.

That's why instead of linking to the ProjectGforum Twitch channel, I'll be directing everyone to the index of this site where the stream is embedded.

When it comes to gaming streams, that's actually exactly how it often works. For instance, with Twitch you can bring up a stream list of people playing a certain game, go down the list, and click on whatever looks interesting. I can tell you right now that there are hundreds if not thousands of people who discovered some of the bigger SC2 streamers right now through Twitch, and not Team Liquid or any of the other SC2 community sites out there. We see them pop up from time to time telling us exactly that.

I don't have a secondary screen unfortunately, but I can just limit myself to playing games where I can window it.

Teh_Sarge wrote:When it comes to gaming streams, that's actually exactly how it often works. For instance, with Twitch you can bring up a stream list of people playing a certain game, go down the list, and click on whatever looks interesting. I can tell you right now that there are hundreds if not thousands of people who discovered some of the bigger SC2 streamers right now through Twitch, and not Team Liquid or any of the other SC2 community sites out there. We see them pop up from time to time telling us exactly that.

Well what would you have me do then, split the interaction up between both chat boxes? Because most people here will just use ours. Should streamers have to have both on screen at the same time and interacting with both, while they're playing?

I mean, the Twitch chat box will always be there. If people find us through Twitch, they can post in it if they want. But I don't want to get into a situation where it has to be "supported" by the streamer. If you're part of Gforum Streams, your focus should be on Project Gforum's community. Period.

sixsicksixes wrote:I don't have a secondary screen unfortunately, but I can just limit myself to playing games where I can window it.

We could also Skype during your streams, but I don't know if our audio will make it into the actual stream. We might have to set you up with what I've done for the podcasts, turning on your Stereo Mix and setting it as default. It might take a lot of finickying to get working right.

And you can pimp the shit out of GForum by putting up a banner above the stream, by giving shoutouts while you play, by mentioning the conversation going on there. There's nothing wrong with embedding the stream here and using the chatbox. There's also no problem with using the Twitch chatbox. And if you're saying that both will be open, then that's in contradiction of the title post, which states "The chat sidebar on Project Gforum itself will be the only supported method of interaction with the streamers." That obviously suggests that the twitch chat will be disabled by default, which obviously is a terrible idea because it stunts communication with potential members we could see here. Semicolon.

If I could find a way to disable the Twitch chat box I would, but I can't, so it's staying open. What I meant is that our chat box will be the only one streamers should focus on and care about. If people from Twitch want to interact to us, I want them to use the forum. Otherwise, there's nothing wrong with "just" watching the stream.

I might be doing a test stream later today, probably with Half-Life 1 (something I'm reasonably sure my PC can handle.) Will post the time in the chat box.

Hey. We're doing the weekly horror-themed streams for October again, right? because I think I already got a full line-up for what I want to stream for halloween.

Yeah, I was thinking of making October horror-themed for old times sake. What did you have in mind?

I have a few games in mind. I have Luigi's Mansion, Devil May Cry, Eternal Darkness, and Amnesia that I can stream. I can also stream a section of a game that isn't horror-themed, but does the section has a horror theme to it. Also, the on the last week of Halloween, I want to stream a mystery game that I won't reveal until the actual stream starts.

I could jump in on the horror stream too...if need be. I also have Amnesia, but I could also play Slender and Ib.

Interesting. I have a few games to stream too, maybe even finish SH2. :Q

If this were last year we wouldn't be able to fit all of our streams in, but now we can.

I just remembered. I have a Sam & Max episode called "Night Of The Raving Dead," which I think would be good for a stream.

I have decided to postpone the debut of Gforum Streams 2012 from today until October 3rd in order to get some things in order and launch with the right lineup of content and streamers. I apologize for the short notice.

I can't find your watermark now.

http://www.twitch.tv/spooievault

Ah right, here's the watermark:

The rest of you, if you're streaming, I'd appreciate putting this in the lower right hand corner.

That went fairly mediocre.

Is someone supposed to be streaming tonight? Did that already happen? o.O

I streamed for a couple of hours last night. The weekend is coming up... maybe I'll do something else. We shall see.

If you folks were paying attention tonight, you saw me stream a couple games. If not... well, you didn't.

Don't worry... I kinda sucked at most of it.